Friday, September 10, 2010

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE MODELS

This was the name of a shirt I once owned, and wore proudly as a curvy girl.

But, truly, I would really like to feed them.


I work at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, and we are the host of Fashion Week this year, and for many years to come. This has resulted in headaches and irritation on my departments part, since our number  seems to be listed as 411 for most of NY.

I do enjoy fashion, and the artistry behind it. But, I can't help but cringe at every model who walks down a runway with popsicle stick legs. As one of my favorite bloggers, Joy the Baker, put it: what woman's thighs DON'T rub together?!


I can't help but wonder if these woman never had mommies who made them birthday cakes, and cookies when they were sad, or taught them how to make breakfast.

Anyway, if I ever have the chance, I would make them a Peach Brown Betty and give them a scoop of vanilla icecream to go along with it. A delicious, buttery dessert that's perfect for a rainy summer night.



Peach Brown Betty
adapted from Joy the Baker
about 8 servings (or 6, if you're us)

Ingredients:
2 heapings cups of peaches, pitted and sliced
7 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
3/4 cup salted butter, cold
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Mise en place, which means to prep everything or put "everything in place." So, preheat oven to 375 degrees, pit and slice peaches and set aside, cube all wheat bread, coat 9 or 10-inch pie pan with butter (make sure you do the whole thing).

2. Add 1/3 of the brown sugar to the bottom of the buttered pan. Cover with 1/3 of the sliced peaches, then 1/3 of the cubed bread. Take 1/3 of the cold butter, slice it, and place on top of bread. Repeat this twice more, ending with butter. Sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of water, to moisten.

3. Cover the pie dish with foil, and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for another 5 minutes uncovered to "crisp" it.

4. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes, or until room temperature, then dig in! I always serve this on top of a scoop of vanilla icecream.



NOTE: If you want to get really fancy about it, you can make your own brown sugar. Take one cup granulated sugar, and one tablespoon molasses, and mix mix mix with a fork until there are no clumps left. It's a little time consuming, but really handy if you don't want to run to the store! I really like this method because I make the amount I need, and don't have to worry about my brown sugar hardening on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment